Nuha and pre islamic Arabia

Home Forums Question and Answer Nuha and pre islamic Arabia

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lebron shoes 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Khan

When I searched Nuha I found this article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuha_(deity)

I really like the name but I am concerned because it was also a name of a diety of pre islamic Arabia. Would it be a Shirki name?

• #105714 Reply

There is no issue with the name Nuha since it is a common word that means “wisdom”, “intelligence” and it is used with this meaning in the Quran. If the false deity’s name is also Nuha, that does not make the word a bad name, unless you use the name to refer to the deity. But if you use the name for its meaning, then there is no issue.

A similar issue is the using of the names of chapters of the Quran, which scholars do not recommend, for example naming a child Ikhlas after Surat al-Ikhlas. However, scholars say if you name a child Ikhlas for its meaning, not as a reference to the chapter of the Quran, then there is no issue with it.

Back to deities, if someone today creates a false deity and names it Muhammad, that does not make Muhammad a bad name. The same is true for Nuha. And let’s not forget the names of the other false deities of Arabs: Allaat was meant to be the feminine form of the word Allah, the fact that they share the same linguistic root does not make the word “Allah” a bad word.

If you need further assurance, here is a fatwa from the Islamic Affairs ministry of the government of the United Arab Emirates, and here is another fatwa on IslamWeb.net, a respected site run by the Islamic Affairs ministry of Qatar. Both fatwas say the name is a good name and they find no issues with it.

• #132884 Reply

Zara

Salaam Can you name your child the English way Noah after Prophet Nuh. If yes would you be able to provide evidence

• #133778 Reply

Aman

Noha =cry or plea ، if that person is referring to urdu word نوحہ

• #138777 Reply

jordan retro

Needed to send you this bit of observation just to thank you very much over again for your personal great thoughts you’ve shown on this website. This has been so shockingly open-handed of you to present unhampered all that numerous people could possibly have made available for an ebook to end up making some dough on their own, notably seeing that you might well have tried it if you ever wanted. The thoughts as well acted to be a fantastic way to realize that some people have the same eagerness really like mine to figure out somewhat more in respect of this issue. I am certain there are several more pleasant opportunities ahead for many who view your website.

• #138839 Reply

lebron shoes

I precisely wanted to thank you so much once again. I’m not certain the things that I would have carried out in the absence of these ways shared by you directly on such situation. It had become the troublesome scenario in my opinion, nevertheless being able to view your specialized strategy you handled that forced me to weep for happiness. Extremely happy for your help and as well , pray you find out what a powerful job that you’re carrying out educating other individuals through the use of your web site. I am certain you’ve never encountered all of us.

Reply To: Nuha and pre islamic Arabia
Your information: