Names that are close to English

Home Forums Question and Answer Names that are close to English

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Stacey

Assalamu Alaikum.

I am a revert, Alhumdulilah. I have a son whom I name Sulayman. My parents are very close to me and respect that I am Muslim. They however struggle with my sons name. I need male baby names for my future son so that my parents will not struggle. I cannot choose Adam as that is my husbands name.

What are good names that I can name my sons and my parents not struggle pronouncing. The only ones I know are Zain and Yusuf but they are taken in my husbands family.

• #119759 Reply

Alaikumassalam wa rahmatullah,

You can choose a Western name that has a good meaning, as in Islam it is not required to use Arabic or Quranic names. Acceptable Western names are Andrew (“Warrior”), Henry and Harry (“ruler of the house”), Zach/Zachariah (a prophet mentioned in the Quran and the Bible, in Arabic known as Zakariyya) Ben/Benjamin (brother of prophet Jospeh/Yusuf), John/Johann/Ian/Hans (a prophet, known as Yahya in Arabic), and Aaron (known as Harun in Arabic).

Muslims in Persia often use Persian names, Turkish Muslims use Turkish names, Kurdish Muslims use Kurdish names; there is nothing wrong with European Muslims using European names.

As for Arabic names sounding Western, there is Ryan, which some Muslims use as an alternate spelling of Rayyan. There is also Aiden/Ayden, which you can find on our site. Another name is Esa, which in Arabic refers to Jesus peace be upon him, while in English it refers to Isaiah, another prophet. Unfortunately that is all I can think of.

• #126005 Reply

Anonymous

Noah, Neil/Neal, Deen, Shaan/Shawn, Danial/Daniel, Zakariya

Reply To: Names that are close to English
Your information:

Cancel