Is Safura (or Séphora in french) a good name for a muslim baby girl

Home Forums Question and Answer Is Safura (or Séphora in french) a good name for a muslim baby girl

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mariyam 3 years ago.

• Author

Assma

Salam,

I was looking for a good name with high islamic values.
    I recalled Prophet Musa’s (as) wife history.
    She was the youngest girl of Prophet Chu’aïb (as) but yet she showed a high level of wisdom, modesty and courage to Musa when he was running from the authorities.

He chosed to marry her when Chu’aïb offered him to marry one of his girls as a gift because Musa helped this family while the father was old and weak.

I read that Safura means “little bird”, is it true ?
    And is this name known in islamic sources ?

If not, is it a good baby name or not ?

Thanks a lot for your website. As far as I know, it’s the best source for muslim names (very good features) even for French people like me that don’t use english websites a lot when it’s about islam.

Assma

• #129962 Reply

Kay

I wish this question was answered. I too was thinking about this name for my baby girl. I also love that it’s very unique.

• #149252 Reply

Mariyam

Walaikum asalaam. Nit sure how old this post is. However my daughter is called safura. It is also spelt safoora. It is common in my area. I come from Kashmir area of Pakistan. It was musa alaihi salaam wife’s name. It has a good meaning.
    The meanings I came across when I named my daughter were: flower, prophet musas wife, God fearing.
    I have come across 2 different spellings in arabic too صوره and سفوره. Not sure which one is more correct.

• #149253 Reply

Mariyam

Sorry corrections.

Not*
    Musa (as)’s wife

صفوره *
    سفوره

• #149351 Reply

Mariyam

I spoke to someone who is native Arab. And they haven’t ever heard this name before. So I would do a bit more research and go for a name that is maybe more recognised as Islamic name.

• #149382 Reply

Mariyam

Further research.

Zippora was name of Prophet Musa’s wife. This means bird

In arabic عصفورة means bird.

….

Quite confusing

Reply To: Is Safura (or Séphora in french) a good name for a muslim baby girl
Your information:

Cancel