Is there a name close to Zephaniah meaning Hidden/Treasured by God?

Home Forums Question and Answer Is there a name close to Zephaniah meaning Hidden/Treasured by God?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Curtis 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Curtis

I’m wondering if, like the muslim version of Zachariah, are there names related/similar to the 12 minor prophets? Specifically, the hebrew name Zephaniah, 9th of the 12 minor prophets- the minor prophet of Revelation, means (based on the best I can find) “hidden from God” or “treasured by God”.

1) Is there a quranic name (direct or indirect) that is similar in spelling and/or meaning?

2) If there is a figure in ancient texts with a similar name-meaning, can a scholar help shed some light on its original context? Which is more accurate- “hidden from…” or “treasured by…”? And are they similar enough to be interchangable?

Given the somewhat debated meaning of Zephaniah (i.e. there is some confusion as to whether “treasured” and “hidden” are interchangable in their original meanings and if some misunderstanding or mistranslation was made regarding the true context of the name’s intended meaning).

If not, does “hidden by God” carry a more negative interpretation? Such as to imply one who is literally somehow hidden from God’s view? But I dont see how that meaning would ever be used as it is blasphemous and not dignifying of a minor prophet or any devout man of God. So with that being said, what is the intent or context of one who is “hidden from God”?

Thank you for your time, input and expertise.

Reply To: Is there a name close to Zephaniah meaning Hidden/Treasured by God?
Your information: